Bigger principal component dot size

Discussions and questions about topics not covered above
mclanesv

Bigger principal component dot size

Unread postby mclanesv » 23 May 2022, 18:39

Hi All,

I'm wondering whether there is a way to increase the principal components dot size. I just recently downloaded version 9.16 and found that the dots while doing wavemark analysis are incredibly small. I have set them to the largest size (size 4), but they are still very small. Is it possible to increase this size further? I have attached a photo of what it looks like currently.

Thank you,
Autumn

Capture.PNG

mclanesv

Re: Bigger principal component dot size

Unread postby mclanesv » 23 May 2022, 20:07

Additionally, I have found that other computers with the same version have the big dot size but appears small on my laptop.

Tim Bergel
Site Admin

Unread postby Tim Bergel » 24 May 2022, 11:19

Hi Autumn,

There are a set of menus at the top of the PCA window; the View menu includes a dot size option.
Tim Bergel Cambridge Electronic Design

mclanesv

Unread postby mclanesv » 24 May 2022, 12:09

Hi Tim,
The picture shown in the original post above is the dot size set at the biggest size available from that menu which is size 4 and they still appear very small.

Andre Costa
Major contributor

Unread postby Andre Costa » 24 May 2022, 12:13

Hi Autumn,

I see that you have tried the current maximum 4 from PCA's View top-menu; I wonder whether chaging the High DPI aware box on Spike2's menu for Display could get you better results with the dot sizes.

André
Attachments
Untitled.png

mclanesv

Unread postby mclanesv » 24 May 2022, 14:52

Unfortunately, that did not work either. I have tried magnifying my screen as well but the dots remain the same size.

Tim Bergel
Site Admin

Unread postby Tim Bergel » 25 May 2022, 08:38

Hi again Autumn,

OK, well that is weird. I have tried to find settings which will reproduce what you are seeing but I cannot - it always works.

I have looked at the code for the PCA window and it appears to simply use the dot size selected as the number of pixels, without compensation for high-resolution displays. Do you have a particularly high-resolution screen?

Beyond that, can you let me know exactly what version of Spike2 you are using? If possible, can you check if a newer release of your version (so if you are running 9.x, look for a newer version 9 release and so forth) of the software is available and upgrade to that?
Tim Bergel Cambridge Electronic Design

Greg Smith
Major contributor
Software used: Spike2 and Signal
1401 type: Many 1401 types

Unread postby Greg Smith » 26 May 2022, 11:19

You must have a great laptop screen to have this problem.

I can confirm that everything is working as it should... we put a lot of effort into drawing these dots as fast as we can and they are made up of a grid of adjacent pixels drawn to look circularish (as best we can with the size of the grid). I appreciate that as screen have higher resolution you want more pixels per dot, but sadly, this makes them slower to draw and the slowness increases as the square of the size of the dot...

I can likely allow a slightly wider range of sizes, but at the cost of slower drawing... I will see what can be done for the next version 10 release.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Cambridge Electronic Design

mclanesv

Unread postby mclanesv » 26 May 2022, 14:55

>The screen that I am using has a resolution of 3840 x 2160...
I also have a screen resolution of 2840 x2160 on my main (desktop) monitor; I run at 175% so the text is legible on the desktop, but this should not make any difference to the dot sizes which are related to screen pixel sizes.
>...and I am running spike2 version 9.16 which I believe is the newest version.
The latest released version of Spike2 is 10.14. 9.16 is the latest version of version 9. Version 10 was released in 2019.

>I am using two monitors with the second having a resolution of 1600 x 1200. I have found if I make the second monitor my main display rather than my >actual laptop screen the PCA dots are much bigger. So it seems that it is my screen resolution that is causing such small dots.
That is correct. They should be larger as the ratio of the pixel sizes on the two screens.

The next release (10.15) now has 2 more dot sizes of 5 and 6. The size 6 pixels have an area of 49/25 of the size 4 dots. On my screen they seem overly large (even with my rather poor eyesight). However, I am running with a desktop monitor, not a laptop. These larger dots take longer to draw...

Return to “General”